Our Library Resource Centre is open to students throughout the school day. Each grade visits the library once a week to sign out books & use the computers at various times during the day. We are currently in the process of becoming a "LIBRARY FOR THE 21ST CENTURY". We are getting electronic devices such as I-pads, e-readers and other devices. These will be accessible for the students to use in the library or their classrooms.
At some point during the school year we usually have a Scholastic Book Fair with many good books for students & families to purchase.
January is Literacy Month and we encourage students & families to spend time together. Family Literacy Day is a national awareness initiative created by ABC Life Literacy Canada in 1999 and held annually on January 27 to raise awareness of the importance of reading and engaging in other literacy-related activities as a family. Taking time every day to read or do a learning activity with children is crucial to a child's development. Even just 15 minutes a day can improve a child's literacy skills dramatically, and can help a parent improve their skills as well.
15 Minutes of Fun!
In honour of Family Literacy Day's 15th year, ABC Life Literacy Canada is encouraging Canadian families to have "15 Minutes of Fun" learning together. Learning can happen at any time. Practicing literacy together for just 15 minutes a day has tremendous benefits for both children and parents. Here are some great ways to get started
- Create your own comic strip about your family.
- Invent two new endings to your favourite book.
- Make up a new recipe together and post it online.
- Tell knock-knock jokes together while doing the dishes.
- Sing five songs really, really loud!
- Invent a new game while playing at the park.
- Read a story to your pet (or favourite toy).
- Make a paper fortune teller with eight fortunes.
- Write a silly poem and tell it to your family at dinner.
- Log on to your favourite word game - can you beat your best score?
- Create your family tree.
- Play rhyming "I Spy" - "I spy something that rhymes with..."
- Play a board game together.
- Text your friend and tell them about your holiday.
- Find 15 things that begin with the letter "S".